FreeBSD on IRC

Hans Nieser h.nieser at xs4all.nl
Sat Sep 10 03:57:59 PDT 2005

Chris wrote:
> I just wanted to make a note - in the past I pushed that FreeBSD on IRC
> is a good place for users to seek help - Well, I have been proven wrong.
>
> While it's true there MAY be a few decent IRC channels that actually
> offer help with FreeBSD, I can now say that I was wrong to assume that
> the majority of FBSD channels on IRC offer any type of FBSD help or even
> care if they offer help.
>
> While I can't speak for EFNet, UnderNet and FreeNode - I can say for
> sure that there are certain channels on DALNet that are NOT help channels.
>
> While there are some decent users on IRC networks overall, it really
> comes down to the management. And in the end - it's the management that
> makes the channel.

I'm a new FreeBSD user coming pretty much straight from Windows (well,  I
have tinkered with linux a bit in the past), and I've been hanging out in
#freebsd on FreeNode and QuakeNET and found them great places to get help.

Despite the fact that some of my questions that I have asked in either
channels could probably be answered by some googling or wading through
manpages, I've only been told to RTFM one or twice ;)