apple moving to x86

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 10 16:11:46 GMT 2005

On Jun 9, 2005, at 11:35 AM, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, John Baldwin wrote:
>
>>> The *really* hot machine is going to be the OSX ABI supported under
>>> FreeBSD and running Aqua.  I betcha this happens FAST.
>>
>> I doubt it would be fast at all if it even happens.  Unlike Linux,
>> svr4, and ibcs2, OS X is not just a POSIXish UNIX kernel.  It also
>
> Or Mac OS X moves to use the FreeBSD kernel. It seems like I have heard
> this before.
>
> What kernel-level Mac OS X/Darwin features does FreeBSD lack? Its file
> system? File bundles?

Mach.  Darwin also does some things that we do the same differently for
various reasons.

> Any websites that quickly list differences between features and drivers
> for FreeBSD and Darwin?

Not that I'm aware of.  When it comes to writing device drivers though,
the model is completely different on OS X.

> I have to wonder if Apple internally and secretly is already testing
> FreeBSD to run its Mac OS X.

I highly doubt that since OS X runs on x86 hardware very well right now
and has been for the last 5 years.