apple moving to x86

Freddie Cash fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca
Thu Jun 9 19:57:15 GMT 2005

On June 9, 2005 12:43 pm, you wrote:
> Freddie Cash <fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca> writes:
> > If they went with AMD processors, then they would have to either
> > build or find someone to build a chipset.

> FYI, AMD makes chipsets.

Yes, and some nices ones at that, especially on the server side (our new
dual-Opteron boards use AMD 8xxx chipsets).  But they don't make
motherboards, they don't make audio/video chipsets, they don't make
ethernet chips, and they don't sell everything all nicely packaged up as a
single "platform".

I'm not saying that's definitely why Apple went with Intel.  But it does
make sense, if you think about it for a bit.  Going with Intel gives Intel
a place to show off their "complete platform solutions", and gives Apple a
single configuration to code for.  Going with AMD would require too much
work on Apple's part to get everything working together, and would be a
pain to certify the hardware configurations as "Designed for Apple".

This way, they just say that MacOS X will only run on Centrino2 laptops,
whatever the desktop equivalent of Centrino will be called, and they're
done.  Intel takes care of the hard parts for them.

--
Freddie Cash, CLCP CNCP            Network Support / Helpdesk
School District 73                 (250) 377-4357
fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca