apple moving to x86

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 9 14:27:57 GMT 2005

On Jun 8, 2005, at 10:30 PM, Stephen Hurd wrote:

>> As there is FreeBSD port to the PowerPC and its peripherals, this
>> machine will make a very interesting target for FreeBSD: combine the
>> x86 code base with the PowerPC drivers and get a real hot machine.
>
> The *really* hot machine is going to be the OSX ABI supported under
> FreeBSD and running Aqua.  I betcha this happens FAST.

I doubt it would be fast at all if it even happens.  Unlike Linux,
svr4, and ibcs2, OS X is not just a POSIXish UNIX kernel.  It also
includes mach so there would have to be a lot of emulation to support
that.  OS X also tends to define its interface not at the kernel
syscall level but at the library API level (from what I have heard),
which means that it might require having custom versions of the base
system frameworks ala Wine which would be an enormous amount of work.