apple moving to x86

Nicole nicole at unixgirl.com
Wed Jun 8 21:24:43 GMT 2005

On 07-Jun-05 My Homeland Security "observers" reported that Erich Dollansky
said:
> Hi,
>
> Claus Guttesen wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I know this is a bit off-topic but it will probably have some impact
>
> Isn't chat the better list for this?
>
>> on the ongoing work with FreeBSD. As most know by now Apple will base
>> it's next-generation hardware on the x86-architecture moving away from
>> the PowerPC.

 It seems a shame that they could not have at least gone with AMD processors
instead of Intel. No matter how closely they are tied to IBM.

> What is still very unclear is the architecture the machines will have. I
> believe they will stick with their peripherials and just change the CPU.
> So, the hardware will be still Apple specific. Only the CPU will be the
> same as on normal PC.

 Could this be a move by Apple to move away from building hardware at all?
 If they use intel chips it seems logical it will have/suffer from the same
periferal needs as normal PCs. Thus could OS XI run on all hardware? Thus
making it easier for people to move to Apple OS with their spare PC's thus
perhaps (hopefully for apple) increasing their OS share.
 I seem to remember it was suggested long ago that apple get out of the hardware
business and Jobs rejected that. Perhaps he has come around?

 This would make an interesting first step to that.

 Or how about (the nightmare) running windows on their well built hardware?

  Nicole

>> My hope is that Apple will take the direction away from Darwin and the
>
> Apple runs like a rabbit followed by a dog. You cannot predict the
> direction Apple will go in the very next moment.
>
> Erich

*******                |\ __ /|   (`\             *******
 *   *                 | o_o  |__  ) )             *   *
  * *                 //      \\                    * *
   *   Blessed Be!        |      Powered by FreeBSD  *
 http://www.unixgirl.com  -  http://www.deviantimages.com

Tragically, flattery is like sex... If we don't get any from others,
 we wind up giving it to ourselves
   --Me

 The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away
 -- Anon

 Support Your Local Chinese Communist Country
  Shop At Walmart
   -- Me