apple moving to x86

Stephen Hurd shurd at sasktel.net
Wed Jun 8 06:11:38 GMT 2005

David Kelly wrote:

> On Jun 7, 2005, at 10:09 PM, Stephen Hurd wrote:
>
>> David Kelly wrote:
>>

>>> Think possibly I didn't speak clearly enough. Apple is not
>>> *adding*  commodity-ness to their product line. Thinking about it
>>> I'd bet part  of the deal with Intel is a special crypto block or
>>> similar in the  CPU uniquely identifying it as an Apple Blessed
>>> CPU. Apple does this  very thing with disk drives. Originally  Apple
>>> SCSI drivers would only  format and configure Apple-blessed  drives.
>>> Currently the same thing  holds true for internal CD/DVD  drives.
>>> But put the same non-Apple  drive on Firewire and MacOS is  happy
>>> with it.
>>>

>> You must be dealing with an older "originally" than I.  I've
>> replaced the 40MB HD in an SE/30 with a 700-oddMB IBM one from a PS/
>> 2 with no issues.  Ditto for a pair of uh... *goes and looks* IIci
>> macs.  Are we talking way back when Apple didn't use standard  SCSI-1
>> (Which, I think is because there was no formal standard)?   May as
>> well complain that you couldn't replace the "non-standard"  800k
>> floppy with a "standard" 720k one.
>

> No, "Apple SC Setup" would not do a non-Apple SCSI drive. This might
> have changed with MacOS 9. MacOS X has never complained about any IDE
> HD I have tried.

I never had a problem and was using either System 6 or System 7 (Never
could justify shelling out for an OS for them)
I don't remember *exactly* how I did it, but since they didn't have
Internet connectivity at the time, nor a modem, I must have used stuff
that came with the system.  Also, I don't remember any difficulties at
all.  Not to say I didn't have any at all, this was years ago, but since
this was among the very first things I ever did with my very own Mac, I
believe I would remember having issues such as "cannot partition the
drive".  The larger SCSI HDs still persist in being the only drive in
those systems.  I also remember at work having gobs of external SCSI HDs
hanging off of almost every Mac... very few of which had the Apple of
happiness on the front.

I suppose if I got *really* curious, I could fire 'em up and take a
peek.  I doubt I will though.