apple moving to x86

Erich Dollansky oceanare at pacific.net.sg
Wed Jun 8 00:08:44 GMT 2005

Hi,

Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> David Kelly <dkelly at hiwaay.net> writes:
>

>>On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 12:03:03PM -0400, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>>
>>>Jared <krod77 at gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>I think Apple will cause the PC market to clean up their act. To make
>>hardware that actually does what it says it will do. Something Microsoft
>>either never understood or lacked the guts to enforce.
>

> I don't see where the pressure for that kind of change would come from.
> Neither company has ever made many specific claims about what the
> hardware should do.  And I'm not sure they should; I'm really not a fan
> of general purpose computing systems being tied to specific hardware.

The PC is a very specific piece of hardware. Plus, it is also a very
screwed one.

Take a closer look at its interrupt and DMA systems.

Both were outdated when IBM introduced the PC but the industry got stuck
with them.

Check the those systems in much older hardware from DEC or even from
smaller systems like the Z-80.

Many of the problems even FreeBSD has (had) would have never have
appeared with the interrupt and DAM controllers at the peripheral's side,

Erich