portupgrade system destruction? SOLVED

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Wed Jan 5 02:33:34 GMT 2005

Kris Kennaway wrote:
[..snip..]

>>>Probably you're 1) using an ssh port instead of the base system
>>>version, and 2) the portupgrade stalled or exited somewhere in between
>>>updating a library it depends on and updating the port itself (ditto
>>>for pop).  System upgrades can be dangerous when you don't have a
>>>fallback plan :-)
>>
>>Is ssh a port by default in 4.10?  I thought it was in the base os.. How
>>would that explain my ftp access problems too?  Seems like they would
>>not be tied..
>

> No.  Something unexpected has clearly happened..maybe your system ran
> out of swap space?

For those that are curious - what happened was the night before, I
installed a new port, but needed to change $PREFIX to a user's home area
to set the port up in that particular spot.  As expected, that went
uneventfully. The next morning,  I decided to do a portupgrade - and
promptly went about cvsupping my ports, bla bla, and then doing a
portupgrage -arR.  However - I never unset the $PREFIX variable, so each
port was being removed from the main system area, then the new port was
being installed in a users' home area.  Bash was one of the first to be
done, which explains the login errors (/usr/local/bin/bash was removed
from /etc/shells, and it was replaced with
/home/username/usr/local....bash, so my shell in the passwd file no
longer was in /etc/shells file).  The portupgrade continued until some
point when it basically killed itself off.

I'm now recovering pieces of the installed packages.

:)

Eric