Catch - 22 ... (or is it '2003')

Joshua Tinnin krinklyfig at spymac.com
Mon Feb 7 17:19:37 PST 2005

On Monday 07 February 2005 03:41 pm, Kevin Kinsey <kdk at daleco.biz>
wrote:
> I'm not one given to posting questions at whichisworse.com
> (it does seem like the 'eric' there is very bored though --- I
> guess the conspiracy isn't meeting its goals on time?)
>
> I picked up an account that is a couple small offices with one
> server that runs a relatively recent, expensive piece of Some
> Business Software.
>
> And, after fighting with this server for several hours, I think
> I'd rather have a badly adminned 'Nix box than a badly adminned
> server from that other outfit.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> :-)

I think if you have the choice you are in a good position. If you are
asking which is better, then I think you have the answer ;) Personally,
I work on mostly Win machines for clients, but that's because I am
doing home computer repair at the moment, and almost everyone who needs
this sort of help runs Windows. Most aren't in the mood to switch,
either, which is alright with me. It's their money, and I secure their
boxes so they don't have to call me about viruses or malware all the
time, although sometimes it still happens. If I had the choice, from a
technical perspective, I'd much rather be working with FreeBSD or
almost any *nix, but this isn't the way this market works at the
moment. However, I like working with home users, believe it or not
(many people are just intimidated by computers and need some guidance),
and I have a feeling this market is going to be like this for some
time. So, I'm stuck with what my clients want to run, but they are
generally easier people to deal with and much nicer than corporate
bosses. It's a trade-off I'm willing to make for now, but if I were in
your position, I'd switch the server or possibly drop the account if
the client didn't want to switch, depending on how many other clients I
had, finances, etc. A badly adminned *nix box is simpler for me to deal
with than a badly adminned Win box. YMMV.

- jt