the value of a journal filesystem?

David Scheidt dmschei at attglobal.net
Fri Feb 4 18:45:56 PST 2005

Steve Kargl wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is a ext2fs, ext3fs, or reiserfs, but
> the 2nd paragraph is somewhat ominious.  The notice does
> statement whether the damaged filesystems are on other
> disks or on disks in other machines (ie. nfs mounted).

I'd suggest that it points out the value of a good, tested, known to
work recovery plan, that people actually know how to use.  A machine
going up in smoke shouldn't require an outage longer than the time it
takes to replace the hardware, install an os, and restore from the
backup media.  Having to muck around trying to figure out how to get
stuff off tape is no fun.  Having to do it while the boss is screaming
at you is less fun.

Backup is easy.  Backup is usually done well enough (if it's done at
all, but only idiots don't).  Recovery is much harder, much less likely
to have  been tested properly, much less likely to be documented outside
the head of the guy who sort of though about it, and much less likely to
be practiced.

David