Off-Topic

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Wed Dec 14 08:32:46 PST 2005

Kevin Kinsey wrote:

> [moving to chat@, as it really *is* getting pretty OT]
>

> Greg Barniskis wrote:
>
>> Pietro Cerutti wrote:
>>
>>> I'm for this one:
>>>
>>> The best way to accellerate a computer running Windows is at 9.81 m/s^2
>>>
>>> by Roland
>>>
>>> It's wonderful!
>>

>> I concur. Physics is fun (I know, I'm sick), so I'd add to that:
>>
>> For best results, continue until the PC's speed exceeds 11.2 km/s.
>>
>> 8D
>

> I'm not a physicist, but shouldn't we also specify a vector/direction
> in this case?  Granted, something more than half of all possible
> vectors should work, apart from tall buildings, trees, etc., ....

Well, for reasons of personal safety and to actually reach the
desired effect of escape velocity, you're possibly right.

However, it strikes me as more UNIXy to leave it as is. That is to
say, if you point the shotgun at your foot and pull the trigger,
your foot will ideally be blown clean off on the first try, no
questions asked. Also, there's nothing inherently wrong with just
planting the PC in a huge crater, either. ;)

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348