BSDLinux OS

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Sun Aug 21 01:06:40 GMT 2005

Diane Bruce <db at db.net> writes:

> I personally can't be bothered wasting my time putting a bsd userland
> on top of a linux kernel, but I would like to see RMS scream. There goes
> his claim to "Gnu/linux", as Linus himself last I read, was indifferent
> to the license.

Linus has expressed his preference for viral,
no-derivation-without-payment-in-the- form-of-cross-licensing
licenses; i.e., copyleft licenses, e.g., FSF GPL.  He likened
the freedom of the BSDL and the public domain to anarchy.

Based on a quick reading of the web site linked from www.MirBSD.de,
it's formally named "MirOS BSD" and basically an OpenBSD with a Linux
kernel, but there is or will be other versions.

GPL'd software in base FreeBSD includes a lot of code and it would be
hard to replace.  I don't know if RMS calls it a "GNU system".

A fairly complete list:

addr2line (a binutil)
ar (a binutil)
as (a binutil)
as (in gnu/usr.bin)
gawk
bc
cc
cpio
cvs
dc
dialog(1) and libdialog
diff
diff3
doc (a binutil)
g++ and libg++
gasp (a binutil)
gawk (see awk)
gcc and libgcc
gdb (a binutil)
gdbreplay (a binutil)
gdbserver (a binutil)
gperf
grep
groff
gtar
gzip (including gzexe, zdiff, zforce, zgrep, zmore, znew)
ld (a binutil)
ld (in gnu/usr.bin)
libbfd (a binutil)
libbinutils (a binutil)
libg2c (g2c program & manpage in a port)
libgcc_r (no manpage?)
libgmp (no manpage?)
libiberty (a binutil)
libmp (no manpage?)
libobjc (no manpage?)
libopcodes (a binutil)
libreadline (no manpage?)
libregex, but not regex(3) manpage
libstdc++ code (no manpage?)
man
mdoc = groff_mdoc manpage
nm (a binutil)
objcopy (a binutil)
objdump (a binutil)
patch
perl
ptx
ranlib (a binutil)
rcs
readelf (a binutil)
sdiff
send-pr
size (a binutil)
sort
strings (a binutil)
strip (a binutil)
texinfo
update.sh (a binutil)
uucp
whatis(1) & apropos(1) (share code and manpage, manpage not FSF)