BSDLinux OS

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 00:55:13 GMT 2005

On 8/20/05, David Kelly <dkelly at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> While we're at it in addition to FreeBSD runtime stuff why don't we
> also port the FreeBSD kernel to Linux?
>
> With a FreeBSD kernel on Linux wouldn't it be much easier to port the
> FreeBSD runtime stuff?  :-)

We do sorta have one, it's in the kernel:
options         COMPAT_43               # Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         # Compatible with FreeBSD4
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD5         # Compatible with FreeBSD5

> Could be as simple as removing Beastie and replacing him with Tux.

Oh god no! Never, though Tux is better then that dam GNU cow. I was
thinking more along the lines of stealing Glenda, the Plan 9 bunny (-:
http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/glenda.html

> We'll just change our name to Linux. I don't like it at all. Then
> again I don't suffer from Linux-envy but thought it was time to knock
> some back to reality.

Who's Reality? And It's not really a Linux envy thing (I'd be using a
Linux distro then and we'd never had this chat) but an appreciation of
what the Linux kernel could do (for BSD).