StarBSD OS and Star OS -- Was: BSDLinux OS

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Sat Aug 20 18:59:27 GMT 2005

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

> I'd like to see a set of mini-distributions which are various
> combinations of: 1) kernel (*BSDs and, if Nikolas can manage it,
> Linux :), 2) root file system code (preferably, a selection of those
> supported by the kernel), 3) an installer which installs the rest of
> the OS and applications using "pkgsrc" off other CDs (or another part
> of a DVD) or off the network, etc.  There could be choice in the
> installer if some like GPL and others don't, graphics or text, etc.
> And if this could be done with "pkgsrc", I suppose it could support
> multiple package systems.

You mention "pkgsrc" -- I use pkgsrc to build entire Linux distributions
for a couple years. If someone pkgsrc-izes another libc and another
kernel, then it would allow people to pick and choose. (As for now, I use
glibc and Linux kernel built and install via pkgsrc for Linux systems.)

  Jeremy C. Reed

  	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
 	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/