BSDLinux OS

Timothy Beyer beyert at cs.ucr.edu
Sat Aug 20 10:56:39 GMT 2005

At Sat, 20 Aug 2005 11:38:33 +0100,
Ross Kendall Axe wrote:

> Timothy Beyer wrote:
>
> > Actually I have followed tutorials for setting up pkgsrc on Slackware
> > in the past and I was quite happy with the system.  (trust me, you'd
> > have to be insane to use Slackware's package system, it really is that
> > bad)
> >
> > --Tim
>
> I guess I must be insane then.  Seriously, there's nothing terribly
> wrong with Slackware's package system.  It's simple and reliable, which
> is more than can be said for many of the competitors.

Take that comment of mine worth a grain of salt, since I can't say
that I've had a lot of experience using Slackware's packages.  I just
remember when I used to use Slackware it was hard to get some packages
working if they came from third parties and required a lot of
libraries.  Granted, the situation may have changed since then, (or
maybe I just wasn't proficient at using the package system) and I
don't use Linux often these days, so I can't really say much about
that.  I will say that I was quite pleased with pkgsrc on Slackware,
though.  Especially with it's BSD-ish init system.

--Tim