FreeBSD Culture

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Mon Apr 18 15:41:02 PDT 2005

On Monday, 18 April 2005 at 23:24:32 +0200, Stine Madsen wrote:
> FreeBSD Culture
> We are four undergraduate students (1st year) who have chosen Organizational
> Culture and FreeBSD as the subject for our major written project. The
> underlying assumption for our project is that the FreeBSD community can be
> viewed and described within the framework of the theory for Organizational
> behavior and culture - that is; as a 'virtual' organization. To investigate
> and clarify this, we would like to confer with participants of the FreeBSD
> community who are well-informed of the how's and why's of FreeBSD.
>
> The following non-exhausting list holds examples of questions we would like
> to clarify:
>
> - Does there exist myths, 'legends' and stories concerning FreeBSD, which
> are common knowledge in the community.

Certainly!  Try googling for "bikeshed", for example.  With some luck,
you might experience one Real Soon Now.

> - How does one get to be a member of '-core'? Or more accurately,
>   how does a member advance in the FreeBSD community?

Heh.  As an ex-member of core, I'd say: participate, contribute,
underestimate the work and stand for election.  But I'm sure others
will give you better results.

> - Is the language described in the 'jargon file' used and understood by all
> members of the community?

Some of it.  Other terms are strongly rejected, er, deprecated.

> - What motivates people to join the FreeBSD community and to contribute to
> the common course?

Good question.  I'll leave that to others.

> - Is it possible to improve the structure of the FreeBSD community?

Of course!  Or of course not!

> We are not sure where to post questions like these - and if
> freebsd.org as a suitable forum for those kind of
> questions. Suggestions and thoughts about this will be much
> appreciated.

I'm copying the FreeBSD-chat list, which may gain you further coverage.

> All communication will be by mail, and all participants will be
> anonymous should the prefer so.

That wouldn't be the FreeBSD way.

Greg