US and EU Export control codes for FreeBSD

David Schultz das at FreeBSD.ORG
Wed Apr 6 06:41:58 PDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005, Anthony Downer wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Does anyone know if there are such things available for FreeBSD 4.11
> Release as US ECCN, EU ECCN, CCATS export control codes?
>
> In order for us to legally export FreeBSD to our own sites we need to
> ensure that we do not contravene export controls.
> I am trying to confirm is the Wassennar agreement will allow us to
> export at least to our own sites, but do not hold out *too* much hope.
>
> We are aware that at one point in time (FreeBSD 4.2) the following codes
> existed:
> FreeBSD version 4.2
> ECCN  # 5D002.a
> CCATS # G018802
>
> However, we have been informed that newer versions of software cannot
> re-use previous codes.
> Anyone have any ideas?

Note 3 and following in this document may be relevant to you:

	http://www.access.gpo.gov/bis/ear/txt/ccl5-pt2.txt

(FYI, FreeBSD does support symmetric-key cryptography with a key
length greater than 64 bits.)

However, I am not an expert on export control, so I can't offer
advice or make any guarantees about the applicability of the
above.