PHP performance on FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x

Jakob Breivik Grimstveit jakob at ikkjereklame.grimstveit.no.invalid
Thu Oct 28 23:29:17 PDT 2004

At my local *BSD- and Linux User Group [1} we yesterday had a presentation
by eZ Publish [2] a PHP based CMS and portal builder framework for web.

During the session it was stated by the speaker mentioned that running
their system on FreeBSD (both 4.x and 5.x) not necessarily would be a good
thing due to a lot of filesystem calls in their product, which PHP on
FreeBSD had performance problems with under high load. In other words he
did not recommend FreeBSD as server platform for eZ Publish (or any
other PHP software for that matter) where a high number of visitors was
probable.

I found this to be difficult to believe, and decided to ask you about
whether this might be the case or not.

[1]: <http://www.blug.linux.no/> - Bergen (*BSD and) Linux User Group
[2]: <http://www.ez.no/> - eZ Publish

--