Hacker strikes Berkeley university computer system

Nicole nicole at unixgirl.com
Wed Oct 20 12:33:43 PDT 2004

 Anyone know what OS they where running on this system?

Hacker strikes university computer system
By Reuters
http://news.com.com/Hacker+strikes+university+computer+system/2100-7349_3-541838
8.html

Story last modified October 19, 2004, 6:55 PM PDT

A computer hacker accessed names and Social Security numbers of about 1.4
million Californians after breaking into a University of California, Berkeley,
computer system in perhaps the worst attack of its kind ever suffered by the
school, officials said Tuesday.
"The investigation is continuing but we have no idea if the (personal)
information has been compromised," said Carlos Ramos, assistant secretary at
the California Health and Human Services Agency.

He said state agencies and the FBI were investigating, but the hacker had not
been found.

The names accessed by the hacker were being used by a UC Berkeley researcher
who had collected data on elderly people and individuals who provide in-home
care to seniors to study the impact of wages on in-home care, Ramos said.

 The data, which included home addresses, telephone numbers and dates of birth,
was being used at the state's authorization but without the consent of the
individuals whose information was being used in the study.

Ramos said the state is authorized to share with researchers the personal
information of individuals who participate in state programs administered by
the state social services department.

George Strait, a university spokesman, confirmed the school's computer system
had been penetrated in what he believed was the most significant hacking job
the university had experienced.

The university detected its computer system had been broken into at the end of
August, but did not notify the state until Sept. 27 after the school had done
its own investigation with the FBI, Strait said.

Story Copyright  © 2004 Reuters Limited.  All rights reserved.

  Nicole

--

  If you want to go backwards, you put it in 'R,' and if you want to go
forward, you put it in 'D'
  -- Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA)

 I like Nader - But I hate Bush even more -  Vote Kerry 2004!
        -- NMH

 I hate to see a woman cry, but I love to hear them scream.
                --Dennis the Menace