ACPI Flakiness / Loader

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Fri Oct 1 00:24:37 PDT 2004

"Jason C. Wells" <jcw at highperformance.net> writes:
> It's been a couple years since I have been active on the lists.  I
> have been itching to get OpenAFS running on FreeBSD so I dove in with
> 5.2.1.  I have never had a fresh binary install of FreeBSD in the
> -stable or -current branch fail to boot until just now.

I hope you realize that 5.2.1 is a nine months old development
preview.

> My request is this.  Please don't enable flaky functionality by
> default. ACPI is openly stated as flaky and not uniformly implemented
> in the handbook.

If only things were so simple!  The plain fact is that most computers
manufactured today, especially laptops and high-end servers, won't
work properly without ACPI.

As for your troubles with disabling ACPI: the procedure to do so is
clearly described in the documentation, and on a stock 5.2.1 install,
it's as simple as pressing 2 at the boot menu.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no