The beastie boot menu.

Jason C. Wells jcw at highperformance.net
Tue Nov 30 17:09:49 PST 2004

--On Tuesday, November 30, 2004 10:28 AM +0100 Dag-Erling Smørgrav
<des at des.no> wrote:

> "Jason C. Wells" <jcw at highperformance.net> writes:
>> The beastie menu is just another level of complexity.  It has very
>> little to do with anything.  I had to learn about Forth in order to
>> figure out how to turn it off.
>
> You can't have learned much if you think
>
># echo 'beastie_disable="YES"' >> /boot/loader.conf
>
> has anything to do with Forth.

You are correct.  I did not learn much.  I deleted beastie.4th from one of
the boot scripts.  I don't think beastie_disable was around when I was
monkeying with this, or I missed it in the docs.  That wasn't the point.

The point was that the boot menu doesn't add anything to the usability and
that in at least one case, it was an unwelcome distraction.  The deletion
of the menu is of little significance to regular users.  I didn't even know
such a thing existed until I recently did my first work on the console in
several years.  In fact, I haven't even looked to see if my remaining 4X
boxes have this menu. If I would have done my upgrade to 5X yesterday
rather than a month ago, I would never have known that the darned thing
ever appeared in the system.

It's just not important, not even to regular users.  The claim that FreeBSD
is not suitable to regular users because the beastie menu is gone is silly.

Later,
Jason C. Wells