The beastie boot menu.

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Tue Nov 30 16:20:51 PST 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:02:14 -0800
Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 02:51:30PM -0800, Chris Pressey wrote:
>
> > > [...]
> > > 	I'm sorry, I just don't see the source of confusion.  I don't
> > > see the floundering.
> >
> > Do you follow cvs-src@?
>
> Come now, surely you can do a better recruiting job for DragonFly than
> falling back on FUD.
>
> Kris

I'm not recruiting for DragonFly; I raised these exact same issues about
lack of a stated philosophy on their list a couple of months ago.

I'm also not spreading FUD.  I'm not sure of the best way to objectively
measure the amount of floundering a project is undergoing, but I think
counting the number of backouts and backout requests would be a good
first approximation.  In order to measure that, one would quite
naturally have to read the CVS logs.

And while I have not conducted a formal study, I've seen backouts and
backout requests appear far more frequently on the FreeBSD CVS list than
on any of the other BSD CVS lists I've followed.

You may have noticed, in fact, that this entire thread was started off
by one such backout.

Now you might say, well FreeBSD only has more backouts because FreeBSD
has so many more developers and so much more activity.  That's almost
certainly true.  But that's even *more* of a reason to have a cohesive
philosophy communicated clearly to the entire project, otherwise the
amount of toe-stepping will become unmanageable.

-Chris