Threat to FreeBSD in Europe?

Rahul Siddharthan rsidd at online.fr
Fri May 14 20:36:57 PDT 2004

>   Wake up guys; if Free Software is going to succeed, it has to innovate
> for itself.  And, whatever some people may think, looking at someone else's
> wheel, building your own, and then giving it away for free does not
> constitute innovation.

Here's what Robert Cringely wrote some months ago, of the word
"innovation":

     This word, which was hardly used at all until two or three years
     ago, feels to me like a propaganda campaign and a successful one
     at that, dominating discussion in the computer industry. I think
     Microsoft did this intentionally, for they are the ones who seem
     to continually use the word. But what does it mean? And how is it
     different from what we might have said before? I think the word
     they are replacing is "invention." Bill Shockley invented the
     transistor, Gordon Moore and Bob Noyce invented the integrated
     circuit, Ted Hof invented the microprocessor. Of course others
     claimed to have done those same three things, but the goal was
     always invention. Only now we innovate, which is deliberately
     vague but seems to stop somewhere short of invention. Innovators
     have wiggle room. They can steal ideas, for example, and pawn
     them off as their own. That's the intersection of innovation and
     sharp business.

Rahul