Doing it right

Dag-ErlingSmørgrav des at des.no
Mon Mar 15 06:11:33 PST 2004

Stephen McKay <smckay at internode.on.net> writes:
> I think it is a legitimate (and helpful) thing for developers to question
> the technical merits of changes even if they aren't personally contributing
> much code.  It can't simply be the case that whoever has the time to commit
> the most code changes wins.  Changes must be in the long term interests of
> the project.  Hence questioning code changes can be as much a contribution
> as writing new code if it avoids a future problem.

Sorry, but you get zero points for criticizing this decision after the
fact when it had already been discussed to death for literally months
before it was implemented, and Garance spent uncounted hours writing
and testing the transition scripts and documentation.  No points
either for criticizing a decision which you clearly did not bother to
learn enough about to even discover that it did not affect you.

Now, if your message had been something like the following, this
thread might have turned out very differently:

  "Are you planning something similar for i386?  In that case, I think
   we should place more emphasis on backward compatibility..."

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no