FreeBSD Most wanted

Narvi narvi at haldjas.folklore.ee
Fri Mar 5 15:02:59 PST 2004

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Chris Pressey wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:17:40 -0500
> Jim Zajkowski <jim at jimz.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 5, 2004, at 6:02 PM, Daniela wrote:
> >
> > > But I'm so into low-level programming, that it's (sometimes) easier
> > > for me to code in ASM than in C.
> >
> > Like I said, may you have a long and successful career in writing
> > device drivers and firmware.
>
> Or compilers.

The majority of speed in compilers does not come from assembler tricks.
Especially in compilers, code correctness is much more important than
speed (is there anybody still who is not sick of gcc causing problems?)
followed by high level analysis and optimisation. Pick up a compiler book
- any compiler book - and you will see relatively little about ASM.