Virus? (was Re: Notify about your e-mail account utilization.)

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Wed Mar 3 08:47:42 PST 2004

>Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:31:47 +0000 (GMT)
>From: Francisco Reyes <lists at natserv.com>
>To: FreeBSD Chat List <freebsd-chat at freebsd.org>
>Subject: Virus? (was Re: Notify about your e-mail account utilization.)
>Sender: owner-freebsd-chat at freebsd.org

I suppose that to the extent this is appropriate for any FreeBSD mailing
list, -chat@ would be it....  :-{

>On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 staff at freebsd.org wrote:

>> Hello user of Freebsd.org e-mail server,

>Is this for real?
>Or just a virus masked as a note from the FreeBSD team?

A salient bit of evidence for the latter (which I admit that not all are
privy to, so I'll share it):

hub(4.9-S)[1] grep -i '^staff:' /etc/aliases
hub(4.9-S)[2]

I.e., there is no valid "staff at freebsd.org" email address.

And please direct queries about mail @FreeBSD.org to
postmaster at freebsd.org or (failing that -- I do get behind sometimes)
admin at freebsd.org.  Please do not send to both -- I'm on both lists, and
duplicate mail is not high on my list of "must-have" items.

And please use discretion.  I'd rather have my mailbox cluttered than
have the lists cluttered, but I do have limits as well....  :-}

Peace,
david       (current hat: postmaster at freebsd.org)
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
I do not "unsubscribe" from email "services" to which I have not explicitly
subscribed.  Rather, I block spammers' access to SMTP servers I control,
and encourage others who are in a position to do so to do likewise.