for dutch FreeBSD hackers wanting to get SUN hardware

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Fri Jun 11 10:27:47 GMT 2004

At 6:00 AM -0400 2004-06-11, Paul Murphy wrote:

>   I almost bought a Sun workstation a a computer show but could not see
>  if a regular (PC) monitor would plug in to a Sun. They were selling Sun
>  monitors at the table but they were more than I was willing to spend on
>  'experimental' computer equipment.
>
>   So my question is: will PC peripherals attach to a Sun box?

	Depends on the box.  For UltraSPARC 5s, the answer is most
definitely yes -- Sun built them with mostly standard PC components,
including VGA output, PCI card slots, IDE hard drives & CD-ROM
drives, DIMM slots, PS/2 keyboard & mouse connectors, etc....  About
the only non-PC standard component was the CPU.

	For older Suns, the answer is probably no.  For
bigger/faster/newer UltraSPARC boxes, the answer is maybe.