Need advice on an application for creating a Newsletter

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Jul 22 02:36:38 PDT 2004

On 2004-07-22 07:55, Srot BULL <pwd8jmr22w at me.point.ne.jp> wrote:
> Hi to everyone,
>
> Since I did not think that this post is about asking a technical
> question on FreeBSD, I thought I should try this list first for any
> advice or help.
>
> Now here is my problem, I have been incharge (on/off) for the
> publication of our Newsletter (we call it Bulletin Board), I have had
> experiences on Adobe's expensive applications...Photoshop and
> PageMaker...What would be the best way (application in the ports) for
> me to start with...?

A very beautiful and aesthetically pleasing newsletter (at least for my
standards) that is typeset using tools available on any UNIX system is
"irregular expressions" -- the newsletter of the CS Department of the
Okanagan University College (British Columbia, Canada):

        http://www.ouc.bc.ca/cosc/newsletter/

One of their issues included a note that said the latex magic that is
needed to use a layout similar to theirs (or a locally hacked version,
anyway) is available at request.

I don't know what sort of experience you have with LaTeX but I'd ask the
editor if the macros and LaTeX setup they use can be used by others too.

Of course, you can find innumerable newsletters that use TeX or LaTeX
for layout.  I'm not suggesting that this particular newsletter is the
perfect solution to everyone's needs.  I just thought I'd write about
it, in case it seems useful.

Giorgos