freebsd and dragonfly bsd

Vijay Kaul vkaul at ma.rr.com
Mon Jul 5 11:40:29 PDT 2004

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 13:39:20 -0400, Dan Langille <dan at langille.org> wrote:

> On 5 Jul 2004 at 10:36, Chris Conn wrote:
>
>> Hi, I've been a FreeBSD user for a while,
>> am currently running 4.8, haven't tried
>> version 5 yet. I haven't been reading the
>> mailing lists or web sites much until now.
>>
>> I saw the web page for Dragonfly BSD and
>> it implies that there were design differences
>> with version 5 that led to this new version
>> but I don't really have a feel for what the
>> differences are, can somebody tell me about
>> this change? Or are there political issues
>> that led to this?
>
> I would think that the Dragonfly BSD lists would be the better place
> to ask about Dragonfly BSD...

Having visited the DFly site and looked for info myself, I've found enough
reasons why going the way DFly has is a worth while idea. However, knowing
that both the DFly and FBSD people are skilled and experienced coders, I'm
sure that *both* sides have their ups and downs. For getting FBSD's side
of the story, I figure the FBSD lists would actually be a better place to
ask.

The two reasons I hesitate to ask:
1) major decisions like the branching of code into an entirely seperate
(okay, as seperate as two BSDs get) project is a big decision. Many people
will have taken many stances on the decisions that were made. Some of
these people may be very good at provoking others of these people. I'm new
here: I don't know. I do not want to dredge up old arguments.

2) I'm not sure where it would be appropriate to ask. A lot of the
differences aren't so much conceptual as technical. So I feel like "chat"
might be a bit off topic. However, hackers and current and stable and such
don't feel right either.

Anyhow, if anyone could maybe point to a "the FBSD team stance on DFly's
SMP threading model," or some such resource, give a consice relatively
unbiased recap of what happened, and/or answer the question in some other
way, please do! I'm sure there are more of us who are very curious to know.

(Also, if this should be posted elsewhere, please move the discussion
there. Thanks.)