training (was Resourceful BSD/Linux NetworkAdministrator)

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Mon Jul 5 10:03:27 PDT 2004

At 10:45 AM +0000 2004-07-05, Brandon Joseph Adams wrote:

>  From experience, setting a FreeBSD box on the internet without any clue as
>  to what was going on, there are more than enough people willing to break
>  your box for you that'll leave you with a mess to clean up. I'm not trying
>  to be funny, this is the truth.

	That's a different class of problem.  As a system admin, you're
going to be responsible for fixing not only those very few systems
which have been compromised by external attackers, but also the > 90%
break-ins which have come from inside personnel exceeding their
authorized level of access, as well as the machines which have been
munged because you (or one of your co-workers) fat-fingered something.

	Just leaving an open box on the 'net and trying to fix whatever
comes up is a very poor way to try to learn about all those other
classes of problems.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755