training (was Resourceful BSD/Linux Network Administrator)

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Mon Jul 5 09:17:27 PDT 2004

At 11:08 AM -0500 2004-07-05, Chris wrote:

>  I agree 100% here. Nothing, I mean nothing can prepare you for real-life then
>  setting up your own servers, then breaking them every way you can think of
>  just to fix the issues.
>
>  You can't learn that in a classroom.

	Actually, the problem here is that you, as students, cannot
possibly think of all the possible ways to break the machines in
question.  The instructors can't either, but they'll be able to think
of a lot more of the sorts of things that are frequently found in
production systems.

	This is a situation where you need someone who is more
experienced than you are to break the systems, and then let you try
to fix them.  Moreover, you should have a limited amount of time to
try to fix them.  This is something you are highly unlikely to be
able to simulate outside of a laboratory environment that is
associated with classes being taught.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755