training (was Resourceful BSD/Linux Network Administrator) (fwd)

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Jul 3 03:06:48 PDT 2004

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 10:31:50PM -0400, Dru wrote:

> I'd love to see a forum established to discuss how to bring quality BSD
> training to the masses. To create a curriculum that is practical, thought
> provoking, and available. However, freebsd-jobs isn't the place to hash it
> out. Anyone care to suggest a better place to continue on this thread?

Count me in.  This is something I've thought about off and on, but
never to the extent of coming up with any concrete proposals.  I did
come to the conclusion that the best way for the FreeBSD project to
institute a worthwhile qualification -- one that employers would find
credible and trust meant the person with it actually did know their
stuff -- would be to get a University or similar institution to issue
a certificate or diploma as part of an "External Studies" program.  I
don't know how well that translates outside the UK, but here most
Universities run evening or other short courses as a service to the
local communities.  These vary from "just for fun" to seriously
academic stuff.

Here, for example is what my Alma Mata provides:

    http://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/

    http://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/cpd/

	Cheers,

	Matthew

PS. See also: an interuniversity scheme between Oxford, Yale and
Stanford, which could do with a bit more weight on the
Scientific/Technical side:

    http://www.alllearn.org/

                                                      Savill Way