Less messages to FreeBSD.org lists

Andrew Boothman andrew at cream.org
Sun Jan 25 08:10:59 PST 2004

Hi everybody,

I've just noticed an interesting fact. If you visit the mailing list
archives on http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/ you'll notice that in 2003
there were 20,000 less messages to FreeBSD.org mailing lists compared to
2002. That's a fall of about 8% (Although we did still manage to
increase the total size of those emails - thanks to all those essay
email writers! :-)

That's the first time since FreeBSD began that there's been a fall in
numbers.

Now - I'm not trying to start a "BSD is dying!" thread, there's no
question that there's more than enough development going on in all the
BSDs to counter that - but I would expect the total number of mailing
list posts to vary approximately to the OSs installed base. Or is that
too simplistic a view and I'm just worrying unnecessarily?

I've been thinking for a while that -questions "feels" quieter. Or
perhaps I'm just getting used to the message flow...

Discuss. :)

Andrew