Why BSD?

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Sat Jan 24 17:56:33 PST 2004

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 16:17:04 -0600, Andrew L. Gould <algould at datawok.com>
wrote:

> On Saturday 24 January 2004 03:26 pm, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>> Occasion 2.) Got sick of Win 98 SE on my wife's computer, so I decided
>> "give Linux a second chance".
>>
>>              This time I WANTED to go with Red Hat, since it's arguably
>> the
>> most popular Linux distro. However, one look at their new licensing
>> made me
>> change my mind in favor of Gentoo - The most BSD-like Linux distro.
>
> Slackware + portage would be interesting.

The two Linux distros I've tried are Gentoo and Slackware, and I heartily
agree with that sentiment.

One thing that I thought was very nice about Slackware's text-based
installer was the relatively verbose information on the installer
screens.  I'm sure smarter folks than I have considered whether to include
something like this in FreeBSD's installer and decided against it for good
reasons, but just thought I'd comment that the Slackware installer's hints
were quite helpful to me as a Linux newbie.

Jud