Where is FreeBSD going?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 21 17:14:00 PST 2004

Sorry to drag this thread on, but I've just got round to looking at
it, and I see a thing I need to clarify.

On Tuesday,  6 January 2004 at 23:13:07 -0500, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> Brad Knowles wrote:
> [ ... Matt Dillon ... ]
>>>  OK, I've never run into that. Over on the DragonFly stuff, he seems
>>>  pleasant enough and his ideas are innovative, strong, if sometimes...
>>>  *cough*... eccentric (e.g. replacing sysinstall with an Apache server
>>>  and a load of PHP...), but I'll accept I haven't seen that, and I
>>>  know others have had their problems there.
>>
>>         Well, since it's his project, I'm sure he feels a lot more
>> secure.
>
> No, I have exactly the same impression from his FreeBSD mailing list
> postings too, and many others said the same thing when he was chucked
> out.  He was always willing to help inexperienced people and his mails
> were a pleasure to read for their technical detail.  The impression
> given out then (eg, by Greg Lehey in DaemonNews) was that he had two
> faces to his personality: the friendly help-newbies one, and an
> aggressive behind-the-scenes one that only showed up when dealing with
> other developers.

Hmm, that's not quite what I meant.  Matt's usually friendly and
helpful with other developers too.  He just doesn't handle it
gracefully when people push him around.  That's hardly surprising, but
I think that it upsets Matt even more than it upsets most people.

Greg