Good BSD/Linux Article (somewhat off-topic)

Colin Percival colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 17 16:11:19 PST 2004

At 23:59 17/01/2004, Robert Watson wrote:
>I suspect that the /. effect has gotten easier to carry
>over time in part because a lot of the clients are higher bandwidth than
>they were before -- if you have moderate size files being tranfered, lots
>of long-lived slow connections take up a lot more memory than short-lived
>ones.

   Actually, this raises an interesting point -- if
1. There is a significant amount of network traffic,
2. There is memory pressure, and
3. There are several runnable processes,
it might be a good idea to give scheduling priority to the oldest
process, in the hope that it will complete and free its memory.

Colin Percival