Recommendation for small server

Francisco Reyes lists at natserv.com
Fri Jan 16 07:29:30 PST 2004

I have a client that has had a FreeBSD server for about 4 years.
Boot drive is an old SCSI drive and second drive is IDE. 4 months ago the
IDE drive died taking with it data (we lost about 2 weeks of data). Now
the replacement disk is dying too

ad0s1e: hard error reading fsbn 166931759 of 83465744-83465967
      (ad0s1 bn 166931759; cn 10391 tn 5 sn 29) status=59 error=40

We learnt our lesson and we have 2 different types of backup so we will
loose no data. In the mean time I am moving the data he needs the most to
the SCSI dis, but I am thinking that something in the machine is killing
the IDE drives. Thinking of replacing the server all together.

Any recommendations for a small server? Also thinking of a 3ware
controller to setup RAID 1. Last I used 3ware controllers, several years
ago, they did not report to dmesg when a HD was dying. Do they do now?

I would much rather get a SCSI raid, but price difference is probably
going to be big. This is a small 3 people office primarily using it for
samba. Anyone bought recently a small server/desktop from one of the
FreeBSD vendors that could recommend?