Where is FreeBSD going?

Pedro F. Giffuni giffunip at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 9 19:53:55 PST 2004

Hi;

I might be in the minority here, but I happen to think FreeBSD is doing well
and FreeBSD 5.x is headed in the right direction!

If you look at the ports tree you will notice we are providing more packages
than any other BSD or Linux distribution, and the quality of each and every
port is outstanding. The features in 5.x are promising and the OS is surely
becoming more "modern" so I wouldn't say we are going backwards at all.

DragonFly is offering some interesting features, but some FreeBSD features, in
particular KSE and trustedBSD, are not something I would ignore, so I think
most of us will remain faithful to FreeBSD but we will keep an eye to see what
can be ported.

This doesn't mean FreeBSD is perfect. In fact it's rather disappointing that no
one in FreeBSD is protecting the stack (which the other BSDs have already
done), and that making FreeBSD comply with POSIX is taking so long, but
guys.... this IS a voluntary effort, and just like in any project if no one
does it, it won't happen!

If moving to subversion/bugzilla helps us get the changes faster then we should
do it but ultimately the root of this thread, as I see it, is that we are just
failing to recognize that FreeBSD has REALLY good people behind it and that
having so many talented people can sometimes be a problem.

just my random thoughts,

   Pedro.