General Wireless Network Question

Bob Martin bobbymartin at charter.net
Fri Jan 9 08:26:48 PST 2004

  Just completed a wireless setup. I am using a hi-gain antenna to see my friend's wireless network. He is about 250 feet from my house. I have an excellent signal strength (80%) and my link quality is 80%. My data connection rate is showing 11Mbps.  We are using 11Mbps hardware. When I checked my bandwidth speed through his wireless network I am seeing a 1Mbps in speed out of a possible of 2Mbps. He is seeing the normal 2Mbps bandwidth speed with a 95% signal level on his laptop less than 30 feet away in his living room.  Is what am seeing normal or to be expected with the 250 feet distance from my house to the access point at his house. I expected less bandwidth speed but not half with the excellent signal and quality level that I have with my hi-gain antenna. Is this just the way wireless networking is or what?  Is there anything I can do to do better then the 1Mbps.

  Also, friend saw a drop in speed with a drop in signal as he walked toward my house away for the access point at his house, which I expected to happen, but when I intentionally dropped my signal and link levels to a lower signal level I still got the same 1Mbps speed, which didn't make a lot of sense to me.  I did this experiment several times so I know it was real. What gives with this strange result.

  Bob Martin   (Every day is Saturday, except Sunday)

---