Where is FreeBSD going?

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Wed Jan 7 05:04:42 PST 2004

I wrote:

> Mark has mailed me off-list. His tone isn't great. I probably deserve
> the "Fuck off. Go away." I'l deal with that seperately. :-)

A few things to say about this:

1. I was not quoting Mark verbatim here. He didn't tell me to go away in
the same paragraph. :-)
2. It was a private e-mail, and it's tone/content should have stayed as
such, and so I was wrong to allow leakage.
3. The specific context of my mail to which he was replying, that caused
him to get upset with me was where I stated in public:

"In short, you can put all the effort you want in, but -core and many
with a commit bit will resent you for it, because you're just a user."

4. In private I've already apologised for that particualr comment as I
realise now it was very "Daily Mail" of me to make it (for those of you
without access to the Daily Mail, congratualations), and it's only fair
as it spilled out onto the public lists, that I apologise here too. Mark
also apologised for swearing at me.

Oh, and I should also add, in an attempt at public humiliation to make
sure I behave better in future that in the e-mail where I replied to
Mark privately, I finished with the following:

"It wasn't meant to be taken as being personally offensive, but I am
pissed off that people just said "Oh the start of this thread was just a
troll, ignore it" when there were issues that did need to be raised and
aired and discussed that the original post touched on (badly).

Now I'm just pissed off that never happened in a constructive manner,
and I'm part to blame."

I think that is a fair summation, and perhaps a good point to let that
particular branch of the thread die.

And for those of you who normally shout "Submit a patch" - well, I'm
thinking about it. :-)

--
Paul Robinson