Where is FreeBSD going?

Karl Pielorz kpielorz at tdx.co.uk
Tue Jan 6 09:25:32 PST 2004

--On 06 January 2004 11:05 -0600 "Munden, Randall J"
<Randall.Munden at umb.com> wrote:

> Frankly, I'd never given thought to providing more effort.  The OS
> has always done it's own advocacy in my experience.

I think that has long been a FreeBSD weakness. While the Linux crowd have
gained a certain momentum as far as publicity etc. goes - FreeBSD, "just
works".

It's public image is kind of akin to it's actual spec. You install it, it
runs, it does the work - it doesn't complain.

Personally (and from a company point of view) we're happy with FreeBSD,
where it is - how it got there, and where it's going...

Amongst most people I know who use FreeBSD - they actually consider the
lack of 'noise & shouting' and clutter as a bonus and value the slow - but
stable approach to releases. Again these are probably things that don't do
it's image to the non-user a lot of good, for all the wrong reasons :)

-Karl