Personal patches

Colin Percival colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 1 21:53:29 PST 2004

At 05:36 02/01/2004, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>On Friday,  2 January 2004 at 15:25:22 +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:
> > I deleted everything by Rush Limbaugh.  That guy just can't do humour.  It
> > doesn't work as satire, or even parody.  It's just awful.
> > Would anybody object if I commited this one?
>
>I think the answer would have to be "yes".  Though I personally agree
>with you about its usefulness, the whole thing about the potentially
>offensive fortunes is, of course, that they might offend.  Somebody
>else might like them.  I don't think that anybody should play censor
>here.

   I don't think the problem here is that they are potentially
offensive... the problem is that they're simply *not funny*.  There's
also the problem that the 35 quotes were intended to be read in
sequence, so fortune(1) is a very lossy way of reading them.
   But maybe American humour is too subtle for this Oxonian to
understand...

Colin Percival