eliminating GPL apps on FreeBSD

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Sun Dec 19 06:14:06 PST 2004

Jorge Mario G. <murcielako at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was about to send this same list
> also there is a BSD awk

You mean Brian Kernighan's awk.  FreeBSD already uses that.
(When talking about changing FreeBSD, please look at -CURRENT or
at least 5.x, not 4.x.)

> the OpenBSD dudes are working on OpenCVS

That's still under construction and not in production use anywhere.

> 2.  why not import OpenNTPD? it works too

OpenNTPD only supports a tiny subset of the features of Mills ntpd.
While the idea behind OpenNTPD is to be good enough for the large
majority of people, you can't just treat it as a replacement.  It
also doesn't deal well with local clock drift yet.

(Yes, I think FreeBSD will eventually want to adopt OpenNTPD and
return Mills ntpd to ports for those few time keeping maniacs who
need it, but I'm not sure I want to advocate that at this point in
time.)

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de