The beastie boot menu.

Marian Hettwer Mh at kernel32.de
Wed Dec 1 00:54:26 PST 2004

Hej All,

and to add something to that thread ...

Chris Pressey wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 01:25:17 +0100
> Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:
>

>>	If you're seeing confusion and floundering on cvs-src that I'm
>>not seeing on the lists I monitor, then perhaps it's only some of the
>>developers that are confused, and everyone else is just fine.
>

> Quite possible.  What I'm suggesting is that *all* the developers would
> be on the whole *less* confused if they had a better mission statement
> to refer to.  And that's all I'm suggesting.

Why doesn't someone ask for instance Yahoo. As far as I know they have
the largest FreeBSD Serverfarm worldwide. (Correct me if I'm wrong).
Ask them "Why do you use FreeBSD instead of Linux?"
Maybe there answer could help the project in identifing themself. Maybe
some goals of the Project are getting more obvious.
Yahoo was just one example. Pick some other large company who uses
FreeBSD as there core.
As far as I know, Nokia uses FreeBSD on their Firewall Appliances
(although I would prefer to have OpenBSD on these boxes...).

This whole thread is partly about PR / Marketing. Ask our "customers",
as in corporations using FreeBSD, why they do so.
Then watch out wether some of their statements would fit into "our", as
in the community, the core-team, philosophy why using / developing on
FreeBSD.
And ultimately, write down the Project goals.

Just my thoughts :)

best regards,
Marian

PS.: I'm no corporate user of FreeBSD, I just like it better than any
Linux Distribution and I'm using it wherever I can. At work, at home.