Beginning C++ in FreeBSD

Rahul Siddharthan rsidd at online.fr
Tue Apr 27 08:28:20 PDT 2004

Sergey Zaharchenko said on Apr 26, 2004 at 15:58:42:
> > > A single Greek word for which there isn't an equivalent English word,
> > > phrase, sentence, paragraph, essay, book, or library would be enough
> > > though.
> >
> > Which has very little relevance to programming languages.  Anything
> > that can be done in one Turing-complete language can be done in
> > another Turing-complete language.  The trade-off is in development
> > time ("expressiveness") and running time.
> >

> // Turing strikes again:)
> // Ok. Write this (to be compiled as a shared object) in portable C:

By "anything" above I meant "taking certain input data and performing
certain operations to yield a certain output".  As DES points out,
your program doesn't actually do anything :)

Some early C++ compilers translated to C before compiling, I believe.
As did f2c, a fortran-to-C translator widely used before g77.  And I
know of at least one lisp-like system that translates to C (lush) --
though it's not common lisp and is missing many essential lisp
features like macros.  But many common Lisp systems (and compilers for
many other languages) are written in C, so you can argue that the
combined system of compiler+non-C program is a C program that does the
same thing (somewhat like Chris's allowing a library in English to
represent a single word in Greek).

Rahul