Beginning C++ in FreeBSD

Brad Knowles brad.knowles at skynet.be
Thu Apr 22 01:44:36 PDT 2004

At 12:49 AM -0500 2004/04/22, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:

>  I'm not a biblical scholar either, and Isaiah 7:14 was written
>  in Hebrew, not Aramaic (IIRC, <and I probably don't & shouldn't try,
>  but this *is* chat@>, the only Old Testament passages in Aramaic
>  are the last part of Daniel and the book of Esther), but the original
>  Hebrew word 'almah' ~ "young woman, {female} child of marriageable age."

	Keep in mind that the original written forms of the Bible were
already many generations old by that time, having been previously
handed down in oral form.  Indeed, many of the original stories were
actually told in Greek (Ancient Greek, that is) and not Hebrew or
Aramaic, because by that time most Jews were Greek slaves and the
masters made sure that they didn't know any other language.

	I recall one story about a scholar (involved in the original King
George translation?) who lamented his inability to read the original
Ancient Greek on some of the oldest scrolls they had, and had to make
do with the Hebrew translations that had been done at the time.

	So, when you're talking about translations of the Bible, this is
a problem that is manyfold and has occurred throughout the history of
the book.

	Indeed, at that level, not unlike the problem we face today.  ;-)