comparing netboot thin client solutions?

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Wed Apr 21 15:53:33 PDT 2004

"Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <rocky at 401.cx> writes:
> This made me a bit curious since Ive been planning to do something
> similar myself, so I looked up the Diskless X Server howto.
> On the last page, it says "If you are not using devfs(5) (which is the
> default in FreeBSD 5.X), you should make sure that you do not forget to
> run MAKEDEV all in the dev directory."
> Now, the article is dated 1996, but it still mentions devfs and FreeBSD
> 5.x.
> How long has FreeBSD 5.x been around? AFAIK it has been a work in
> progress for quite some time, but devfs back in 1996?

No, work on FreeBSD 5 started in March 2000.

> Has the howto been updated without the date being changed, or am I
> missing something here?

That sentence was added in August last year.  It is practically the
only part of the article which is still somewhat relevant.  You should
read http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/network-diskless.html instead
(though I can't guarantee it's 100% up-to-date)

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no