lament about freebsd sacrifices

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Wed Apr 14 17:40:38 PDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:29, Paul A. Hoadley wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:36:05AM -0700, Peter Leftwich wrote:
> > I thought I would post this as something of a warning.  Using
> > FreeBSD as a primary, non-dual-boot OS means sacrificing.  Here is a
> > partial list of sacrifices, as compared to Microsoft Windows XP:

Perhaps you should list model numbers, because (as I listed below) there are
plenty of counter examples

> > * webcam ball

Never had one, though support is around for a few chipsets.

> > * flatbed scanner

HP ScanJet 5200C (USB).

> > * color printer

Epson 880, HP Deskjet 540, Canon BJ230..

> > * digital cameras

Kodak DC240, several of umass compliant cameras, or try gphoto2.

> > * firewire devices

I have tried an IPod and several types of HD enclosure which work fine.
Havne't tried a video camera but I would expect it to work.

> > * several USB 1 and 2 devices

Flash card reader, mouse, keyboard, scanner, printer.
(Although USB2 hub support doesn't exist yet)

> > * IM software features such as voice and video chat

Hmm, well I haven't had any experience with that, but TeamSpeak works pretty
well for voice chat in games.

> > * websites that use ActiveX (Windows) controls

Hehe.. ahem..
Crossover Office perhaps?

> > * MP3 devices

Like what?

> * Having to re-boot the machine every time I install a driver or apply
>   an update patch

This (in my experience) is not an issue with XP/2000.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5