advanced DOS

Ryan Thompson ryan at sasknow.com
Tue Apr 13 14:50:05 PDT 2004

Joshua Lokken wrote to freebsd-chat at freebsd.org:

> I just had a co-worker tell me that his opinion of *NIX is that it's
> "just advanced DOS."  I had to roll on the floor for a few minutes,
> laughing... ;)

Heh. Yeah, unfortunately, neither your co-worker's attitude, nor your
rolling on the floor, are uncommon, here.

After all, a grey C:\> on a black background doesn't look that much
different from a grey bash$ on a black background. :-) Actually, you
should be impressed that your co-worker made such a connection; at least
he has some (however small) level of experience with command line
environments.

Worse yet is when people see a prompt and go "What the hell is *that*?"

One employee of mine (who has an accounting/managerial background) was a
little flustered, at first, by some of our FreeBSD systems. For
instance, to look up a domain name, I instructed him in the use of the
"whois" command. After several failed attempts, the call came: "This DOS
sh*t f***s me up, but know I need to learn it" was his candid, yet
appropriately subordinate response.

He has learned much since those wobbly first steps.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan at sasknow.com>

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon