The net fights back

Jamie Bowden ragnar at sysabend.org
Fri Sep 19 20:47:27 PDT 2003

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 09:06 AM 9/19/2003, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
>
> >At least one major .no ISP have patched their name server to disregard
> >Verisign's wildcard entry
>
> We firewalled their addresses immediately and are installing the
> latest BIND 9 on all our servers to block their mischief.
>
> I'd love to see a version of BIND with a hack to block top level
> wildcards go into the next releases on the -CURRENT and -STABLE
> branches.

This would break other TLDs that have validly been using wildcards since
inception.  There is no violation of RFC on Verisign's part, merely public
trust.

Jamie Bowden

--=20
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"
Iain Bowen <alaric at alaric.org.uk>